[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 12 22:44:25 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-12 23:14, Joe Ferraro wrote:
While we are on the topic, does anyone have any experience with TOPS-20
/ DECNET? I've haven't had time to mess with it of late, but I was
unsuccessful in a previous evening's attempt or two.

Well, doh...! :-)

.ncp tell sol sho exec cha

Node characteristics as of 12-JUL-11 23:38:44

Executor node = 59.10 (SOL)

    Identification = Systems Concepts SF CA USA - SC30M - DN-20 4.0, Management v
ersion = 4.0.0
    Loop count = 1, Loop length = 127
    Loop with = Mixed, Incoming timer = 30
    Outgoing timer = 60, NSP version = 4.0.0
    Maximum links = 65535, Delay factor = 48
    Delay weight = 10
    Inactivity timer = 120, Retransmit factor = 10
    Routing version = 2.0.0, Type = Routing IV
    Routing timer = 600
    Broadcast routing timer = 40, Maximum address = 1023
    Maximum circuits = 20
    Maximum cost = 100
    Maximum hops = 16, Maximum visits = 20
    Maximum broadcast endnodes = 64
    Maximum broadcast routers = 32
    Maximum buffers = 80, Buffer size = 576
    Segment buffer size = 576

.

So, yes, there are people around... Like I said - not everyone on this list is even running a VMS system...

	Johnny

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com
<mailto:md.benson at gmail.com>> wrote:

      On 12 Jul 2011, at 21:48, hvlems at zonnet.nl <mailto:hvlems at zonnet.nl>
      wrote:

        > DECnet/AIX was a 3rd party effort IIRC
        > I haven't searched the internet yet but who knows what is available.
        > Perhaps the opensource decnet kit may be portable.

      I know there's a DECNet kit for Linux out there somewhere. Not sure
      about anything else. Nothing crops up on   a quick Google search that
      isn't dated early 90s.

        > I wasn't aware that AIX was so hobbyist friendly. The hardware is
      vey unfamiliar for me though.

      The hardware is generally pretty unique (save for it's similarity in
      patches to PPC Macs) - all IBM stuff generally is. The OS is
      proprietary but you can pick up media kits off eBay for not a lot.
      Also IBM documentation, certainly for RS/6000 / pSeries hardware and
      AIX, is readily available online without even needing a login.

      --
      Mark Benson

      My Blog:
      <http://markbenson.org/blog>