[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Tue Jul 12 22:34:47 PDT 2011

While we are on the topic, does anyone have any experience with TOPS-20 / DECNET? I've haven't had time to mess with it of late, but I was unsuccessful in a previous evening's attempt or two.

I've had mixed luck with it. I did manage to get it up and running on my Panda distribution, but then I changed DECnet addresses, and my attempt to get it working again didn't go well. I believe that NCP continued to complain that my DECnet address was invalid (perhaps saying that the number was greater than 63, but it wasn't).

I don't have the system up right now and I'm remote at the moment, but if there are any specifics I can try to recall for you, I'll do what I can.

I will say that I modified the hardware address of the Unix (Solaris, in my case) network interface and also in the Panda configuration for the NI device to reflect the appropriate AA-00-04-00-xx-xx value. The place where I got stuck was in the NCP configuration in whichever <SYSTEM> .CMD file it was that the system uses at boot time.

--Marc