[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Joe Ferraro jferraro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:14:16 PDT 2011

While we are on the topic, does anyone have any experience with TOPS-20 / DECNET? I've haven't had time to mess with it of late, but I was unsuccessful in a previous evening's attempt or two.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
On 12 Jul 2011, at 21:48, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

> DECnet/AIX was a 3rd party effort IIRC
> I haven't searched the internet yet but who knows what is available.
> Perhaps the opensource decnet kit may be portable.

I know there's a DECNet kit for Linux out there somewhere. Not sure about anything else. Nothing crops up on   a quick Google search that isn't dated early 90s.

> I wasn't aware that AIX was so hobbyist friendly. The hardware is vey unfamiliar for me though.

The hardware is generally pretty unique (save for it's similarity in patches to PPC Macs) - all IBM stuff generally is. The OS is proprietary but you can pick up media kits off eBay for not a lot. Also IBM documentation, certainly for RS/6000 / pSeries hardware and AIX, is readily available online without even needing a login.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>