[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:08:05 PDT 2011

The multimonitor thing for DOOM was pretty sweet.... And it'd let you look around corners.

If you had a room full of 486's it was the neatest thing ever!

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

On 12 Jul 2011, at 20:40, Jason Stevens wrote:

> Oddly enough our VAX's actually had some netware thing.   I wish I'd managed to make copies of the tapes, but we did have Netware for VAX/VMS.

IT's probably for the better that you didn't. Being a bit on the young side I was doing LANs just as IPX/SPX and NetWare and suchlike were fading away. I remember setting up an IPX network to play DooM - my first ever LAN game wit ha friend of mine - and all the contact I had with Netware via education services etc was pretty nasty and proved to hurt more than it helped anything, but I was too young to understand bigger pictures at the time.

> It wasn't until 95 with Microsoft including TCP/IP into the consumer OS did it really start to matter.

Yes I do remember the days when Windows 3.11 had Winsock to provide a separate TCP stack. We used it and SLIP to dial up to our ISP back then. We had to keep a Windows 3.1 box on the modem for quite a while until we worked out how to build SLIP dialup scripts for Windows 95.

Sometimes I swear I was born 10 years too late :(

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>