[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 20:40:48 PDT 2011

I guess I got in at the end of the Netware years (Yeah I know governments still use) and I did live through the entire Ethernet, EthernetII, 802.2, 802.3 fiasco's (lol so much for standard....) All the stuff we had midrange did speak IPX/SPX, from the NeXT to the RS/6000's and PC's.... Oddly enough our VAX's actually had some netware thing.   I wish I'd managed to make copies of the tapes, but we did have Netware for VAX/VMS.

For our mainframe access we used Novell's SAA gateway which... was terrible, when Microsoft shipped SNA server 2.1 (was there a 1.0?!) we RAN to that... And used it over IPX/SXP with people even using dialup shiva's!

It wasn't until 95 with Microsoft including TCP/IP into the consumer OS did it really start to matter.

Well from my POV anyways.