[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 10:58:22 PDT 2011

On 08/07/11 10:56, Kari Uusim  ki wrote:
On 8.7.2011 12:51, Mark Benson wrote:

On 8 Jul 2011, at 10:38, Kari Uusim  ki wrote:

If you have a MP card on a Integrity server (or workstation) and need _only_ the (local) console function, you can use a regular 25-pin null modem cable to access the console functions and of course the other MP functions as well. The 25-pin interface is wired so that the console uses the standard pins (2,3 and 7).

Of course you can use the LAN console functions provided with the MP card. In some cases only the MP serial interface will be accessible and usable.

The MP card is otherwise useful also. E.g. if the machine crashes, you'll be able to check the logs for what has happened or if the machine is completely jammed, you can reset it remotely.

I've heard a few people say the Remote MP card doesn't work on the zx6000 - It's gotta be a firmware setting somewhere as the zx6000 and rx2600 are the same machine with different fas and a firmware switch changed.

I have a zx6000 with the MP card and it functions exactly like on a rx2600 or any other Integrity system.

Do you get a graphics display via the VGA port though? That's the bit that I was under the impression was broken when putting the MP card in the ZX6000. I've never got anything out of it, anyway...

Oh, yes, and I've put a 25pin to 9pin cable in the serial port and can confirm it works nicely.

Regards, Mark.