[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

MG marcogb at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 8 00:11:57 PDT 2011

On 8-7-2011 1:01, Mark Benson wrote:
Ahh to hell with that then - I'm not running a Serial Console to a machine with a ATi FireGL card in :P

Unfortunately, you won't be able to take advantage of that particular graphics
adapter under OpenVMS anyway, unless you make it happen (I also happen to have
one of those cards and maybe I'll give that a try some day, to attempt writing
a 'simple' driver, perhaps based on the Linux open source driver).

The 'last' and 'best' card that is available for OpenVMS, which will even do
OpenGL (or "Open3D") is the ATi Radeon 7500.   Beware, most Radeon 7500 cards
offered for sale nowadays are of the so-called "Mobility" type and it's often
not mentioned or not very clearly.   One of the best ways of identifying one is
the fact that they typically only came with 64 MB memory.

- MG