[HECnet] So who's looking forward to all the cheap second-hand Itanium gear that will soon be flooding the market?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Tue Jul 5 16:28:08 PDT 2011

Where can you get them for 100 quid? I'd love a second Itanium box.

Sampsa

On 5 Jul 2011, at 16:12, Mark Wickens wrote:

On 05/07/11 15:15, Mark Benson wrote:
I strongly suspect that's one reason I got my zx6000 so cheap. Itanium is about to become an ex-technology I suspect!

Incidentally, if anyone comes across front, top and side covers and the steel pedestal stand for a zx6000 I need them.

ZX6000 were primarily Windows server workstations - they didn't ever really fit a defined niche as far as I can tell.

I bought mine about 4 years ago for GBP 500 which was as much as I was prepared to pay at the time. They are going now for around GBP 100 depending on the configuration. Mine was maxed out with memory and came with drives, so I guess that's worth something.

Luckily they still run OpenVMS, otherwise your options are very limited - various linux flavours sort of work, but I believe gentoo is the only one still currently being maintained.

I know the hardware is not the greatest, but it's a shame it hasn't been better supported, given that it is a true 64 bit architecture.

But then, what do I know... I just love anything that is different or esoteric - which firmly makes me *not* the man in the street.

Mark.