[HECnet] Introduction

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:26:56 PDT 2011

On 18 Jun 2011, at 08:08, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

OK, that's clear. After breakfast I will post more.
deleting a file under vms requires:
- the full name
- sufficient rights and/or privileges
A full filename means that the version numver must be included.
DEL X.X wont work while DEL X.X;2 will
Wildcards are permitted.

If it is a security setting, try DIR/SEC *.COM. The protection is given for 4 (system) O (owner) G (group) or W (world).
Can you post the command you entered?

Yeah I read up and worked out the version thing

DELETE SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM (obviously didn't work)
DELETE SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM;
DELETE SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM;*

Non worked. All reported the file wasn't there (but by a different path which I can't recall) I was in Minimal boot mode (which cunningly you don't seem to be able to use the EDIT command in).

I think I need to dig out an ethernet card for my terminal machine (old Toshiba Sat Pro laptop with a real serial port) so I can copy this stuff out of the terminal into e-mails better.

Just to clarify as a default install OpenVMS did no create this file, I had to manually copy SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.TEMPLATE over to SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM to create it. This is covered in the HP docs and by Steve Hoffman.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>