[HECnet] Introduction

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:40:05 PDT 2011

Hi!

I'm new to the DEC/OpenVMS platform, but am hoping to join HECnet on recommendation from a friend who is (or at least was) more into this area of computing.

I am not seriously involved with DEC systems to any great extent, or a DEC-using professional, but I'm an avid enthusiast who thrives on investigating different platforms and OSs.

I am currently going through my first install of OpenVMS 8.3 and have hit the part where I need the SCSNODE and SCSSYSTEMID - I guess that's where I need details from HECnet. If I put something random in at the install can I change those post-install?

Also I would like to know details of how to build and run the DECnet bridge on Linux (if that's possible) and if, when using a DECnet, I can still use conventional TCP/IP on the OpenVMS machine.

As I said, I'm very new to this whole thing, so go easy on me :D!

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>