[HECnet] Network status

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 12 00:45:38 PST 2011

On 2011-03-12 08:15, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
Phone is available on RSX-11. So it is safe to assume that the VMS version got ported from RSX-11. Which dates Phone somewhere in the mid 70's, right?
Coming from punched cards and papertape anything on a screen seems modern :-)

No, I think you got that backwards.
PHONE for RSX only exists for RSX-11M-PLUS, and it's pretty buggy and limited compared to the VMS version. I would suspect the RSX version was just a quick hack to get something phone-like to also run on RSX.

Btw, PHONE also exists for TOPS-20.

Also, I believe DECnet functionality, and PHONE as such, didn't come about until a bit later than VMS got started, so by that time, very little got ported from RSX to VMS. I would suspect PHONE to be around 80 or so. RSX and VMS was pretty much independent development by then.

	Johnny

Hans