[HECnet] Printing to an LA75 using VMS queues and form definitions

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 13:27:44 PST 2011

Hi guys,

I have printing working to my LA75+ dot matrix printer via a spooled VMS queue which communicates via LAT with the printer attached to a DECserver 90L+. Everything is working fine except for two issues:

1. I'd like to be able to print with a form definition which leaves a margin at the top and bottom of the page. I tried this:

$ DEFINE/FORM LISTING 3 /WIDTH=132/PAGE=66/MARGIN=(TOP=6,BOTTOM=6)/STOCK=DEFAULT/NOWRAP/TRUNCATE
$ SET QUEUE/DEFAULT=FORM=LISTING LA75$PRINT_ALEPH$

I tried asking Hoff but I think he's sick of my 80's related questions, his response was entitled:

Classic printing best left to masochistic perfectionists <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/766#comment-2424> (http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/766)

I think I'm almost there, but the printer appears to be ignoring the bottom margin - I get a top margin fine, and the listing is not exhibiting 'rolling' ie the content of the output is aligned correctly on each page.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do? I want to be able to put listings in vertical binders, and that just doesn't work without both top and bottom margins being honoured.

Regards, Mark