[HECnet] Integrating with the Italian network.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Nov 28 05:54:34 PST 2011

On 2011-11-28 13:26, Rok Vidmar wrote:
In truth, HECnet and the Italian DECnet network are not alone: we were made
aware of at least another similar Croatian-based project named SLON (the
Croatian word for elephant and also the name of the SLOvenska Network in the
SPAN/HEPnet time-frame). They started experimenting with Multinet tunnels ...

      I am the guy from SLON (responsible for the name), which is Slovenian
  based network, to which some nodes in libraries in the rest of former
  Yugoslavia were added, some of them were indeed located in Croatia.
      We started in '85 or so, a zoo of research institutes, universities, banks,
  companies, ... so we quickly learned the importance of security, painlessly
  though. VAXes were in majority, some RSXes and a 10.
      We used mix of leased lines, X.25, Multinet and Multinet-CMUIP tunnels.
  Good days saw 200-300 nodes online in early 90s with some 50 persisting
  till the turn of the century.
      We almost immediately moved to area 3 with area 2 reserved for DecServer
  uploads and area 1 reserved for Quiche Eaters, then populated areas 4 to 14
  and for some years we were connected to the international meteorological
  DECnet network in area 53 to accommodate Slovenian nodes there.
      Those days are now gone, it seems that my 3 node net is all that remained.
  I would like to join HECnet which might lure some other guys in Slovenia to
  join us. Would area 3 and Multinet-Multinet tunnel be OK?
  --
  Regards, Rok

Hi, Rok.

Multinet tunnels are definitely ok, and are used by some people already.
Area 3 is currently claimed by Christine Caulfield, so we need to work something out.
It would be nice to get you onboard...