[HECnet] Integrating with the Italian network.

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Mon Nov 28 03:08:32 PST 2011

Gerry,
Thanks for the clear explanation of the retro DECnet setup. I agree with your evalluation of renumbering area 1, yours seems to have more system owners than HECnet's area 1.
Yes, in terms of planning it was a lot easier to modify just my own systems. The complexity of such a project increases sharply when the number of stakeholders goes up :-)
About the bridge program, I mis understood the DNS part: hence the reference to phase V. The IP part was understood and I still think it tries to solve issues that ought to be done elsewhere. I am a strong believer in the KISS principle.   Which is why I favor Johnny's original version.
Perhaps we can still merge the two, provided you guys want this and Johnny wants to move out of area 1.
Its not complicated just a lot of reboots.
I did very little with DECnet on RSX but I think a reboot is all that is needed.
Hans