[HECnet] Integrating with the Italian network.

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:59:44 PST 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:02:20 +0000, you wrote:

I've been thinking that it's a bit silly to have two separate hobby DECNETs,
so I figured we should get connected to the Italian net as well.

Any ideas?

In truth, HECnet and the Italian DECnet network are not alone: we were made
aware of at least another similar Croatian-based project named SLON (the
Croatian word for elephant and also the name of the SLOvenska Network in the
SPAN/HEPnet time-frame). They started experimenting with Multinet tunnels
and then maybe switched to our fork of Johnny's bridge. But we haven't heard
anything from them since years, and we have no way to contact them either,
so I cannot say for sure if they are still doing something or if they are in
deep sleep since then. Unfortunately, the name they gave to their project is
really not a good choice for Google lookups...

HTH,
G.

(I'm one of the guys from the Italian DECnet)