[HECnet] Integrating with the Italian network.

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sat Nov 26 06:37:02 PST 2011

Johnny wrote:
That is not really a big issue. DECnet do not have a requirement for a
coherent nodename database. Every machine can have its own.

  This is technically true, but it's really not very useful to have a
network with duplicate node names.   After all, if I post a message saying
"phone me on ABC::" or "copy these files from XYZ::" and half the users have
a different ABC or XYZ, then people are not going to be happy.

  Sure, it may be that the Italian guys never access our nodes and vice
versa, but if that's true then what's the point in integrating?

Bob

P.S. Does anybody have a list of the nodes on the Italian network?