[HECnet] Integrating with the Italian network.

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sat Nov 26 04:19:02 PST 2011

I wasn't aware that moving to TCP would result in all that. UDP and TCP both
use the same IP addressing functionality. Only UDP is connectionless, i.e.
doesn't use acknowledgement messages and is thus a little faster than TCP
but less reliable. An IP address change is as much as a problem for UDP as
it is for TCP, I'd say.
Security is another issue. As you wrote, authentication is sent as clear
text so is not secure. Then again, it may only be used if there is a
connection to HECnet and that would make no difference anyhow.
Encryption is fine, but it is an up hill struggle: it requires continuous
attention to keep up with technology. I doubt if HECnet is worth that
struggle.