[HECnet] VAXStation 4000/90A power supply fan

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Fri Nov 18 05:29:03 PST 2011

Fred, DEC tends over-engineer things so possibly one fan may work provided the box is not loaded with disks. The VS4k series were designed for 5400 rpm disks and not for 7200 rpm or faster running disks. My solution would be to put storage in an external cabinet.

You could try and apply e little graphite powder in the noisy fan bearing, better yet use a molybdenium based lubricant: these do not conduct electricity.
I haven't opened my VS4000-x0's for year and cannot recall what the powersupplies look like, sorry.
Hans