[HECnet] TX88/DLT 4000 use in VMS

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Sun Oct 16 19:19:17 PDT 2011

On 15.10.2011 22:23, Mark Benson wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying not to post random questions here, but I have to ask so I can decide if I should put this drive in storage or clean it up and buy a couple of tapes for it.

I have a Compaq DLT4000 series 20/40 GB tape drive (also known as a Tx88 in DEC parlance I think?) in an external cabinet (a big old lump) with HD50 SCSI ports on the back. It's a nice piece of engineering, very much still DEC-esque in it's build quality and no-nonsense construction.

I basically would like to know if it would be supported in either VMS 7.3 on a VAX or VMS 8.3 on an Alpha, and perhaps how to utilise it if it is. I am used to using 'tar' and 'mt' on UNIX but never looked at using tapes *inside* the OS on VMS.

The TZ88 (DLT4000) is fully supported in VMS as per V6.2.
It is very useful as it is capable of reading all the earlier generations DLT tapes.

Just run the cleaning tape and off you go.

Btw. If you want to have a DLT drive repaired (when it just gives errors despite of cleaning), contact me. I can offer you repair service for a very reasonable price.

Kari