[HECnet] TX88/DLT 4000 use in VMS

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 20:23:51 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've been trying not to post random questions here, but I have to ask so I can decide if I should put this drive in storage or clean it up and buy a couple of tapes for it.

I have a Compaq DLT4000 series 20/40 GB tape drive (also known as a Tx88 in DEC parlance I think?) in an external cabinet (a big old lump) with HD50 SCSI ports on the back. It's a nice piece of engineering, very much still DEC-esque in it's build quality and no-nonsense construction.

I basically would like to know if it would be supported in either VMS 7.3 on a VAX or VMS 8.3 on an Alpha, and perhaps how to utilise it if it is. I am used to using 'tar' and 'mt' on UNIX but never looked at using tapes *inside* the OS on VMS.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>