[HECnet] Current VMS installations

MG marcogb at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 12 21:30:52 PDT 2011

On 10-10-2011 22:42, Mark Benson wrote:
On 10 Oct 2011, at 21:30, Mark Wickens wrote:
I was talking to someone at the DEC Legacy event about the erosion of DEC kit in Universities and Colleges after Microsoft's anti-trust law suit the settlement of which required Microsoft to give away copies of Windows.

DEC didn't follow suit.

Ironic that an anti-trust settlement against Microsoft just ended up with more people running Microsoft software, which locked them into Microsoft upgrade paths.

The same irony of Linux as the supposed 'free and open UNIX/-derivative'
doing the bidding of UNIX against Windows, where in the end Linux almost
exclusively destroyed perfectly good proprietary UNIX distributions (think
of IRIX) on the basis of alleged cost reduction, with Linux in the end
still mostly in the fringes and server niche, just like on day one.

(No, I don't consider Android a proper Linux.   It's far too customized and
intertwined with proprietary supplements to be truly considered Linux.   It
is not like people consider Mac OS X a typical BSD in that sense either.)

- MG