[HECnet] How do I get a DS10's onboard NIC into 100 mbps mode?

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Wed Sep 28 10:05:40 PDT 2011

The ascii graphics are pretty muche useless on my phone display. Your questions, as I undertand them, are:
1 the linkspeed is between station and switch?
2 how come other stations are affected?

The linkspeed is indeed an "agreement" between switch and system. Two characteristics are importand: bitrate and half or full duplex. The bitrate must match this is   essential. The duplex attribute may mismatch and on low traffic links you might get away with it.
Generally, coax links are always half duplex and UTP ports tend to be full duplex. There is very little 10 Mb/s equipment that supports full duplex though.
Auto sensing tends to err on the safe side and your system ends up at 10 or 100 Mb/s half duplex. Auto negotiating mode will result in an appropriate setting, 100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s full duplex.
Old ethernet equipment, 10BASExxx gear won't do this at all. You're lucky if you can select between AUI and thinwire coax, sometimes UTP is offered.

The second question depends on the quality of the switch. If a switch receives data at 10 Mb/s and transmits them over a 1000 Mb/s link then it depends on the design on how well this speed difference is handled and the way it is hidden for the other ports.
If the switch has very little own memory, it must forward each packet as quickly as possible. In the mean time all other ports may receive less attention. Store and forward may be a better strategy to handle these differences in linkspeeds. The cheaper the switch is, it will probably offer just one strategy andd usually this works best in homogeneous networks (everything operates at the same bitrate and duplex mode).
A cheap switch offers about the same throughput volume as an old fashioned repeater: then traffic between any set of two ports and all other traffic gets backed up at the systems.
Is this an answer to your question?
Hans