[HECnet] Noob question here: boot flags and such

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sun Sep 18 21:09:40 PDT 2011

That worked! Thanks guys.

Sampsa

On 18 Sep 2011, at 15:29, Peter Coghlan wrote:

Actually,

I would use:

$ set default sys$system
$ mcr sysgen
use current
set startup_p1 ""
write current
exit

$ reboot

The original poster said it boots to a minimal DCL shell. That sounds like
a $ prompt to me. You get left at a $ prompt when SET /STARTUP has been set
to OPA0:. You don't get a $ prompt when STARTUP_P1 is set to "MIN" - you have
to log in as usual.

He also stated that entering @SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP manually fixed the problem.
If STARTUP_P1 was set to "MIN" then entering @SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP would not
undo its effects and he would be left back where he started.

It looks more likely to me that SET /STARTUP is the setting that has been
modified not the STARTUP_P1 parameter.

Rather than do a conversational boot, he could do:

$ mcr sysgen
use current
set /startup sys$system:startup.com
write current
exit

$ reboot

For some reason, that method did not occur to me earlier.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.