[HECnet] MMSRR (Mandatory Magic Smoke Release Report)

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 21:35:13 PDT 2011

Fired up the newly acquired MicroVAX II today. Twice in fact. First time just to see if it did anything at all. Which it did - power supply kicked in, hard drive span up, I could see lights on the cards.

Second time after connecting a console I fired it up whilst looking at the boot sequence LED on the back - went 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, then back to 8. It's possible the console wasn't connected properly - I think I should have seen the CPU model by this point on the console.

Then the magic smoke let go. Prime candidate for smoke release are the mains filtering capacitors, but I've not extracted the power supply so cannot be sure.

I'm getting a talent for blowing up power supplies these days...

Mark.