[HECnet] Success after a long afternoon...

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 20:04:08 PDT 2011

Well,

Installing OpenVMS on a VAXstation 4000/60 has taken me all afternoon on and off...

I almost gave up. I kept getting 'medium has gone offline' errors with the first hard drive I tried, so I swapped it for another drive, same issue, thought the CDROM must be dodgy, swapped that out, same problem, eventually went back to the original hard drive (which was ZEN's page/swap drive, so easily recreated) and everything is fine. So that is *two* hard drives exhibiting the same problem. Bought from the same ebayer, they were original DEC drives.

So sometimes perseverance does pay off.

I was also getting a system board error to do with NVRAM, so I swapped out the TOY chip, still got the error first reboot, but after that it was fine.

Mark.