[HECnet] Satellite configuration/NCP crash

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 11:02:25 PDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

Yes the NCP commands work on a standalone VMS (VAX and Alpha) system.
Possinle reasons for the failure (that I can think of....):
- wrong circuit name
- DECnet not configured
- phase 5 running, not phase 4
- insufficient privileges

- wrong circuit name

NCP>show active circuits

Active Circuit Volatile Summary as of 15-SEP-2011 10:53:46

    Circuit                   State                                     Loopback         Adjacent
                                                                                          Name           Routing Node

  EWA-0                         on                                                               8.400 (GORVAX)
  EWA-0                                                                                           11.2 (MAISA)
  EWA-0                                                                                           20.1 (WOPR)
  EWA-0                                                                                             1.300 (CTAKAH)
  EWA-0                                                                                             1.13 (MIM)

- DECnet not configured

$$ dir maisa::

Directory MAISA::SYS$SPECIFIC:[FAL$SERVER]

INFO.TXT;3                   NETSERVER.LOG;62       NETSERVER.LOG;61 NETSERVER.LOG;60
NETSERVER.LOG;59       NETSERVER.LOG;58       NETSERVER.LOG;57 NETSERVER.LOG;56
NETSERVER.LOG;55       NETSERVER.LOG;54       NETSERVER.LOG;53       TEST.EXE;2

Total of 12 files.

- phase 5 running, not phase 4

NCP>show executor characteristics

Node Volatile Characteristics as of 15-SEP-2011 10:55:56

Executor node = 4.249 (SLAVE)

Identification                     = HP DECnet for OpenVMS Alpha
Management version             = V4.0.0
Incoming timer                     = 45
Outgoing timer                     = 60
Incoming Proxy                     = Enabled
Outgoing Proxy                     = Enabled
NSP version                           = V4.1.0
Maximum links                       = 32
Delay factor                         = 80
Delay weight                         = 5
Inactivity timer                 = 60
Retransmit factor               = 10
Routing version                   = V2.0.0
Type                                         = area
Routing timer                       = 600
Broadcast routing timer   = 180
Maximum address                   = 1023
Maximum circuits                 = 16
Maximum cost                         = 1022
Maximum hops                         = 30
Maximum visits                     = 63
Maximum area                         = 63
Max broadcast nonrouters = 64
Max broadcast routers       = 32
Maximum path splits           = 1
Area maximum cost               = 1022
Area maximum hops               = 30
Maximum buffers                   = 100
Buffer size                           = 576
Nonprivileged user id       = DECNET
Nonprivileged password     = SALISPENTS
Default access                     = incoming and outgoing
Pipeline quota                     = 4032
Alias maximum links           = 32
Path split policy               = Normal
Maximum Declared Objects = 31

- insufficient privileges

$$ show proc/priv

15-SEP-2011 10:56:45.84     User: SYSTEM                     Process ID:     20200260
                                                  Node: SLAVE                       Process name: "SYSTEM"

Authorized privileges:
ACNT                 ALLSPOOL         ALTPRI             AUDIT               BUGCHK             BYPASS
CMEXEC             CMKRNL             DIAGNOSE         DOWNGRADE       EXQUOTA           GROUP
GRPNAM             GRPPRV             IMPERSONATE   IMPORT             LOG_IO             MOUNT
NETMBX             OPER                 PFNMAP             PHY_IO             PRMCEB             PRMGBL
PRMMBX             PSWAPM             READALL           SECURITY         SETPRV             SHARE
SHMEM               SYSGBL             SYSLCK             SYSNAM             SYSPRV             TMPMBX
UPGRADE           VOLPRO             WORLD

BTW you must use LAT, IP or a locally attached terminal to perform this trick.

Logged in via a DECserver providing the serial console:

$ telnet decserv 2005
%TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 192.168.1.200
%TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host decserv, port 2005
$$

What happens if you do this, assuming that EWA-0 is correct::

$ mc ncp def circ ewa-0 service enabled
$ mc ncp set circ ewa-0 state off
$ mc ncp set circ ewa-0 state on

$$ mcr ncp
NCP>define circuit ewa-0 service enabled
NCP>define circuit ewa-0 state off
NCP>define circuit ewa-0 state on
NCP>show active circuits

Active Circuit Volatile Summary as of 15-SEP-2011 10:53:46

    Circuit                   State                                     Loopback         Adjacent
                                                                                          Name           Routing Node

  EWA-0                         on                                                               8.400 (GORVAX)
  EWA-0                                                                                           11.2 (MAISA)
  EWA-0                                                                                           20.1 (WOPR)
  EWA-0                                                                                             1.300 (CTAKAH)
  EWA-0                                                                                             1.13 (MIM)
NCP>exit

That doesn't crash the system, although there is no indication that the state is dropped.

Should I proceed with the commands required based on the fact that the commands you gave me didn't cause a crash?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Mark.

Hans