[HECnet] HecNET via 3G Dongle

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Sep 14 11:19:49 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-14 09:45, Mark Wickens wrote:
On 14/09/11 06:29, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
The 3G dongle has a different P address and probably in another
network. The router must know this. Iif you use DHCP then all nodes
behind the new router will get a proper address, default gateway, and
DNS server address(es).
You wrote that you added a dongle. How does the router now know to use
that as its iway to the internet in stead of the wired way? I.e. How
is its default route configured?

Yes, the router uses the 3G dongle as a substitute to the ADSL
connection if it is dropped (or removed). The whole set up of the router
remains the same, but clearly the IP address that the router presents
itself to the internet is different, as are the nameservers.

DHCP is served by a different box, so that remains unaffected.

For the most part it works beautifully.

You have two "issues".
First of all, telnet is not a useful tool to test anything here, since telnet uses tcp, while the bridge uses udp.

Second, your connection through the dongle is not accepted by Update, since the bridge program knows the remote IP address, and do not accept packets from random nodes on the internet. So you need to let me know what IP address you have, so that I can put that in my bridge config file.