[HECnet] HecNET via 3G Dongle

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 21:15:17 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-11 21.45, Mark Wickens wrote:
Guys,

Looking to tap into your collective knowledge.

I'd like to set up a 3G dongle for the DEC Legacy event.

The plan will be to add my machine as an area router then other
participants machines into that area.

Steve Davidson has pointed out that there are decnet numbers allocated
for experimental purposes.

I think I understand how to setup my 3G dongle to connect to the
internet via an ubuntu machine. I am happy setting up a DHCP and DNS
server on the same machine. The bit I don't understand is how I would
fit the hecnet bridge into this network. Normally on my DSL router I
have a port redirection rule setup on port 4711 to point to a Debian
based box on my LAN.

How would I achieve the same effect on a linux box? If I run the bridge
on the same box, does this negate the need for a rule?

If all this works, is there a restriction of one decnet area per lan
segment? Can I run two areas on my side of the bridge?

Thanks for the help, Mark

In general, if/when you have a setup like that, it's the same as if you connect your computer directly to the internet. So, your Linux box is at the same location your DSL router is. So, there are no rules to setup to pass a packet through the router. The reason for the rule is that your DSL router acts as a firewall (and possibly NAT), which is what you need to circumvent for the bridge. No firewall/NAT box in between means no need to punch a hole through it.

So you should be able to run the bridge directly on that box, and it should work. All however, also depends on what your mobile operator might be doing...

Area number for experimental is probably not going to help you, though. You already have an area. Adding more nodes to it is hardly any different than having a new area setup, except that if you setup a new area, you will need an area router for it. I don't really see much point in the "experimental" area we have reserved, but since we have plenty of areas anyway, there is no harm in it. Anyone using that area can expect things to not work though, as someone else might also be using the same area, and conflict/confusion might follow.

As for having several different areas on the same lan, no problem.

      Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for clarifying that. I'll need to supply a node allocation to participants before the event, and as I am sending out an email shortly I'd like to provide the most accurate picture of what we can do - and have an answer when people ask. I'll be taking my AlphaServer 1000A (nodename SLAVE) which is acting as an area router for area 4, so I can just plug that in and it will work. Is it best then to give you some new node names before the event for area 4, depending on how many people want to participate?

I've also found that my Vigor 2800 supports wireless dongles, which might make life incredibly simple. It's going to be one that either works or it doesn't.

Regards, Mark.

Regards, Mark