[HECnet] SIMH on CentOS 5.6

Tue Sep 6 12:53:51 PDT 2011

Lots of Unices use "partition" names to designate part of all of a physical device; for example on NetBSD the suffix "d" by convention means "the whole disk".   On the other hand, on Linux no suffix is the whole disk, and letter suffixes mean (real) partitions.

I didn't know that CDRoms could be partitioned.   But you can check this easily: "cat /proc/partitions" shows you all the partitions that the OS can see (on all the visible disks).

	paul

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Mark Benson
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:22 AM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] SIMH on CentOS 5.6

On 6 Sep 2011, at 06:52, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

The dd command ought to produce a bootable copy of the cdrom. On Tru64
the correct partition is If=/dev/disks/ cdrom0c

When I dd'd off a copy of the VAX VMS CD-ROM it didn't work for me initially either. Now I can't remember which way round it was now, but I think I dd'd the whole CD-ROM and it didn't work and then I dd'd off only the *partition* with the data in and that worked fine. Either that or the other way around. From the looks of the quote above you only need the partition.

Memory is terrible, sorry :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: