[HECnet] DECnet performance problems (on TOPS-10)

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Sep 1 16:25:08 PDT 2011

TOPS-10 and RSTS (and RT-11) echo the keystrokes as they occur,
while RSX and VMS echo when the read occurs.

  Ah, I never thought about it before, but that's very profound and clearly
true.   And easily demonstrated too - do some command on VMS that takes a
minute to execute, and then type ahead.   You won't see anything echoed.   On
TOPS10 in the same circumstance, you will.   I don't remember offhand how
TOPS20 behaved (it's been too many years ago).

Bob