[HECnet] GRE tunnel working!

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Apr 29 10:26:56 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-29 10:41, Peter Lothberg wrote:
On 04/28/2012 09:07 PM, Peter Lothberg wrote:
I have three cisco boxes for my DECnet and would be happy to do a
GRE tunnel..

    Peter!   It's great to see you in this gang.   It has been a long time;
I hope you're doing well.   Drop me a note sometime and let me know
what's been going on over there.

I live in Sunnyvale, CA since 1997... -:)

    If you and Brian and I set up three tunnels between us, will IOS do
spanning tree between them?

Spanning_Tree? This is the distater that Jonny started with ethnernet
bridges..... (on the other hand without that there would be no HECNet
so I'll be quiet, I just wish he changed it to do l2tvp3, don't need
to do the signalling just the encap..) (it don't solve the loop
problem, but now a c router could terminate a Jonny tunnel..)

I'm definitely not boasting about the bridge. :-) It is a hack. But it's much better than the first hack I did for HECnet (which was basically transporting a serial stream point-to-point, and setting up DECnet with a asynch serial port doing DDCMP).

I've not heard of l2tvp3 before. Might be worth checking in to. But the biggest issue really is the looping. And I'm too lazy to implement stp... Well, I might get the inspiration one day, but I'm way more interested in writing stuff for RSX.

DECnet-4 has a link-state routing protocol, it's what Radia did before
IS-IS, it has L1 and L2 routing decided by the area number.

Funny you should mention that, as I always thought IS-IS looked rather a lot like the DECnet routing.

So, as long as the tunnels are PTP between routers it will do DECnet
routing, and the metric is cost and hops (look at a ethnernet routing
vector it's indexed with node number and has cost,hop in 16 bits..)

In short, do nothing, set metric to 10 all all over the place and it
will just work.

What is your IP address?   Mine are on the HECnet mailinglinst.

Letting the Cisco partiticpate as routers on DECnet is really the best way to go.