[HECnet] Web-server under RSX-11M-PLUS

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sun Apr 15 01:57:54 PDT 2012

On 13 Apr 2012, at 15:11, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se

On 2012-04-13 16:03, Mark Benson wrote:

I'm sure we could work something out. Do you have some experience with
web servers? I have one or two questions that you might help me with...
Also, you could do some work on MIM, where the stack and tools are
already in place...

I work on AMP (apache/MySQL/PHP) for a living. I wouldn't ever claim to
be an expert on web servers but I know how apache works and where to
look up what I don't know ;)

Ah. Hmmm. I'm not sure how much that knowledge helps here, but maybe it might be a good start anyway.
Right now, there is nothing like the CGI interface of Unix web-servers. It might be something we could look at. The basic concept of kicking off a subprocess, and using the output as the result is nothing difficult. More tricky is the question of how to pass information that in Apache and others are passed as environment variables. Need to think about that one.
Scripting... Nothing exist yet. You could use IND, I guess, but it's nothing like PHP. Also, no connection to any database as such from IND. Using a HLL, like BASIC, you can always play with RMS, which gives you lots of features. Or you could also go to Datatrieve...

I'd have to dust the cobwebs out of my brain, but I wrote a pretty trivial web server years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with how that works. It wasn't fancy and didn't do CGI or anything but I just might be of some use, who knows! :)

If you have any questions let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-brian