[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Fri Aug 10 22:21:41 PDT 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 08/10/2012 04:29 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
Try adding -fomit-frame-pointer; that will free up a register, which
is pretty important on register-starved architectures such as x86 and
x86_64.   (depending on your -O<n> level, it might already be turned on
though)

According to the manpage, that's already the default as of GCC V4.6.   I'm currently doing some tests with GCC 4.7.0, the latest release.

Cool.   But...the default?   With no frame pointers, debugging is pretty
difficult.   I assume it's only enabled with -O[n], and disabled with
-g[xxx]?

No, but you can enable frame pointers if you need them.   Depending on the debugger, you may not need them.   For example, MIPS seems to have them in theory, but in practice there is no reason to use them (except if a function calls alloca() in which case GCC forces a frame pointer for that one function).

	paul