[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Aug 10 21:03:16 PDT 2012

On 08/10/2012 03:58 PM, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
Is gcc the only option you've got Paul?
Gcc must satisfy a lot of terget platforms, may be optimal gets defined differently?

  Pardon me for jumping in here, but I know something about this part.

  GCC's code generation back-end is very tightly tuned for the target
processor.   C code (or C++, or FORTRAN, ADA, Pascal, or any other
language GCC supports) is compiled to an intermediate RTL (register
transfer language) and then passed to the code generation back-end.
Various types of optimization, some language-specific and some not, some
target-specific and some not, are applied at various stages.

  The end result is a situation in which the quality of the emitted
executable code for one architecture typically does not suffer when
another has had improvements made to it.