[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Aug 10 04:00:43 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 10:54 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Dave did the Alpha family come in a 1U size?

  Yes, the DS10L comes to mind.   My HECnet node AXPEE:: is one of those.
They are EV6-based (nice and quick!) and are available clocked at
466MHz and 600MHz.

  There are other 1U models, but that's the one I'm most familiar with.

If so could said system be considered to be a quiet one?

  Eh, so-so.

For example I have here a SUN
UltraSPARC 5 machine who happens to be about that size and is
currently working headless, and serving as my website manager (hosting
entity and server for same.) it happens to be so quiet the only way
I'd know that the fellow is working is that I promptly logon to the
unit every few hours via SSH or bring up the site on the browser.

  Certainly reasonable even if that's just about the worst machine Sun
ever built. ;)   I'll bring some good (small) Sun hardware to the next
VCFe for you.

I'm trying to find a keyboard for the fellow so I can also use it as a
regular workstation, so far my regular source has not responded.

  A Sun keyboard?   I'm swimming in them.   Send me your shipping address.

What I'd really like to do is to find another one, plus a keyboard,
and a terminal server that SUN made once. Having obtained them I would
simply configure Number Two as a webserver with its console out line
connected to that TS unit. Number One would become a regular
workstation.

  I don't recall Sun ever having made a terminal server.   But, I do have
probably a hundred Sun systems here, from 1U rackmount to 1800lb
machines with 64 CPUs.

  I don't have many Alphas nowadays, and the one small one I do have
(the aforementioned DS10L) is in use, so I can't help you there, at
least not right now.

  Maybe I need to ship you a care package.   Send me your address.