[HECnet] TCP based bridge / router, what's the status?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon Aug 6 21:00:41 PDT 2012

On 6 Aug 2012, at 20:07, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Ah well, I could go on... Suffice to say that it's not because I'm opposed to the features that a TCP connection, or DNS resolution would give, but I prioritize something that I feel confident is working to features. And doing a proper solution with all these aspects is more work than I have cared to put into it. The bridge program is a hack.

As Paul mention, pthreads would probably be a good start if you want to do something more intelligent. You need to start thinking asynchronously.

My desire for this is basically because my ISP is NAT'd to hell - I have no way of getting UDP packets back to my network, as the ISP gives me a non-routable address.

Why go with this ISP? Well it's about 3x faster than the DSL I can get in the sticks over a 3G signal, with unlimited bandwidth and usage.

But sucks for HECnet..

Sampsa