[HECnet] TCP based bridge / router, what's the status?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Aug 9 11:07:04 PDT 2012

On 8/8/2012 10:51 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Couldn't sleep so took at shot at compiling the bridge on the Solaris box :)

Looks like you're missing libpcap and bpf (?):

That's entirely possible. Or they could just be somewhere weird.

Sampsa

PS: How is this network connected to the rest of HECnet?

Currently it isn't. It was supposed to have simh running a copy of vms but that never got setup due to not being able to get the networking to function properly (tun/tap wasn't doing what it should).

I need to upgrade that machine so that I can use the crossbow network virtualization but upgrading a machine that i have limited access to is less than a fun idea. :)

Once we get the bridge working on wiggum I can also connect it to someone else. Last night while I was falling asleep I thought about this. I could also connect the bridge to my house, but that would be silly. If I'm going to do that I could just go ahead and setup the vpn tunnel to go to my house and skip wiggum altogether. :)

I'm setting up a new VM at home who's sole purpose in life is to be a vpn concentrator and HECnet bridge.   I'll get you new vpn info sometime later this morning.

At that point you'll be bridged to my local DECnet network. I don't have any machines running locally (I really need to do something about that) but I'm connected to Dave M. and Peter L. via GRE tunnels on our cisco boxes.

-brian