[HECnet] Johnny: Can you add some new nodes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 10 10:52:57 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-10 11:42, Sampsa Laine wrote:
OK, my reasoning is this:

1. The z/Arch emulator hasn't got any ethenet support, just a CTC point to point link to the host

Area or not makes no difference for this.

2. I'll run MULTINET on both the Debian S/390 and the host

And? Another area makes no difference for this. (I thought Multinet was a TCP/IP stack in VMS... :-) )

3. I assume I need an area for that, or am I incorrect?

Yes, you are incorrect. There is nothing that requires an area here, and it just means you need to deal with a full blown DECnet stack, instead of a simpler endnode.

It might be worth understanding that there is nothing technical added by going to multiple areas. It is just a complication which allows you to have more nodes, but at the cost of more complex routing.

Even within one area, you can have a large number of hops between nodes. Makes no difference to DECnet. The rules for the topological layout is simple:
1. End-nodes needs to be adjacent to atleast one level 1 router.
2. All level 1 routers in an area must be able to talk with all other level 1 routers. And only level 1 routers route messages within an area, which means you cannot have an endnode in the chain.

The layout can be a star, a ring, a line, a combination, hybrid, or whatever. There are absolutely no topology that you can't have.
The type of links can also be anything. Ethernet, multidrop, point-to-point, or something weird. Makes no difference.

	Johnny

Sampsa