[HECnet] SIMH performance on OS X vs Linux

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Mon Dec 31 09:02:11 PST 2012

El 31/12/2012, a les 16:01, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> va escriure:
For this reason, besides making sure the HW is that I would standardize the compiler if you can.    FYI:     The Intel C/C++ compiler for both Linux and OS X are the same compiler, although sometimes slightly different libraries.    Tends to be a better Apples to Apples test than GCC because of some of the variations introduced into gcc by different players   (plus Apple is moving away from gcc to LLVM due the silliness caused the GPL restrictions).

Hmmm if I'm not mistaken, nowadays MacOS defaults to use the clang compiler... Anyway that does not justify that performance difference.

On the other hand, MacOS scheduler favors heavily the desktop tasks...

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES