[HECnet] Funky file formats, et al...

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Dec 31 10:36:39 PST 2012

   There   s something else going on here.   I   m not sure who originally analyzed the file to decide that the format was Stream-CR (although given that the analysis was done on RSX, we can probably guess :-)

>On 2012-12-31 14:59, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

>>> LEGATO's INFO.TXT have real yucky file attributes and a real yucky
>>> file format. :-) (What on earth was used to produce it???)
>>
>> Stream_CR typically surfaces with files coming from WEENDOZE.
>
>Ah. Yes, that would be a possible, source, I guess. But I find Stream_CR a but surprising.
> Maybe I'm just too ignorant of VMS formats here. But isn't there a plain Stream as well
> (which also exists in RSX), in which records are terminated by CR+LF, and which is what
> I would expect a Windows machine to produce...
>
>>> Directory LEGATO::SYS$SPECIFIC:[FAL$SERVER]
>>> 31-DEC-12 13:59:07
>>>
>>> INFO.TXT;1
>>>                                                   Size:   8./35.                     Created: 08-JUL-10 10:54:52
>>>                                                   Owner: [000376,000373]                   Revised:
>>> 27-DEC-12 19:24:34(6.)
>>>                                                                                                   Expires: <none_specified>
>>>       File protection:           System:RE, Owner:RE, Group:RE, World:RE
>>>       File organization:       Sequential
>>>       File attributes:           Allocation=0
>>>       Record format:               Stream-CR, no maximum defined
>>>       Record attributes:       Carriage return

   The thing is, the file isn   t Stream-CR     it   s Stream-LF

$ dir info.txt;1

Directory SYS$SPECIFIC:[FAL$SERVER]

INFO.TXT;1
                               8/35                     8-JUL-2010 10:54:52.34   [DECNET,FA   (RE,RE,RE,RE)

$ analyze/rms info.txt;1
RMS FILE ATTRIBUTES

               File Organization: sequential
               Record Format: stream-LF
               Record Attributes:   carriage-return
               Maximum Record Size: 0
               Longest Record: 174

The analysis uncovered NO errors.

ANA/RMS INFO.TXT;1

   So the stuff about Stream-CR is bogus and a red herring, and I don   t know why Sampsa had trouble.

Bob