[HECnet] "Hacking" attempts

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 31 05:26:06 PST 2012

On 29 Dec 2012, at 15:17, Joe Ferraro <jferraro at gmail.com
<mailto:jferraro at gmail.com>> wrote:

Johnny... you are still too low in the stack... JAVA may as well be
the new assembly (though I think its more like the COBOL of future IT,
in that we'll spend the next 50 years trying to get rid of it). I
don't think I've seen a developer "code" anything lower than Ruby or
Python in years...

I don't think Sunacle will let Java die. ;)

In all fairness, he did say "we'll spend the next 50 years trying to get rid of it".

I know someone that was trying to make an IRC bot in x86 ASM...

I'll probably do one in PDP-11 assembler, just to spite you. :-)

That would be impressive!

Can't see why. I have an irc client which I think is less than 100 lines of C. Since I already have TCP/IP on my RSX system, doing an IRC client inspired by that C thing would be a piece of cake. I'll sit down and fix that tomorrow.

Doing a bot as a next stop, once that is done, would be easy. You didn't ask that it would be any good, or do anything meaningful. :-)

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se