[HECnet] "Hacking" attempts

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Dec 30 18:19:16 PST 2012

On 30 Dec 2012, at 21:16, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/29/2012 04:59 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I ported unix `cal' program from OpenBSD sources to RSX, wrote it in
MACRO-11, and got an interesting result:

OpenBSD's cal.c - 562 lines
My CAL.MAC - 490 lines
:)

That was... unexpected... :-)

To be fair, PDP-11 assembler is...well, nice.   I wonder how fat it'd
be on an ungainly old x86.

Modern or older x86? ;)

There's a difference?

I mean, I know a handful of instructions were stapled onto the side
occasionally throughout the years, and x86_64 made things a BIT more
sane...brought it squarely into the late 1980s...but it's still pretty
ungainly.

I was referring to something like: original 8086 ASM compared with late-model pentium III ASM. ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!
http://gimme-sympathy.org/ My permanently-a-work-in-progress pet project.