INFO.TXT, was Re: [HECnet] UPDATE: HECNET.HLP file for VMS systems

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Mon Dec 31 09:13:48 PST 2012

Thanks for trying Johnny!
-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
Sender: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:02:41
To: <hecnet at Update.UU.SE>
Cc: <hvlems at zonnet.nl>
Subject: Re: INFO.TXT, was Re: [HECnet] UPDATE: HECNET.HLP file for VMS systems

On 2012-12-31 17:56, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
Yes, I meant the original.
Did you try it or predict the outcome?

Just predicted. But here you go:

..nft x.y=legato::info.txt;1
.dsp x.y

DU4:[DECNET]X.Y;1
                                                Size:       8./35.                   Created: 31-DEC-2012 17:58
                                                Owner:     [007,014]             Revised: 31-DEC-2012 17:58
                                                File ID: (124,21,0)           Expires: <none_specified>
    File protection:           System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:R, World:R
    File organization:       Sequential
    File attributes:           Allocation=35, Extend=0
    Record format:               Stream, no maximum defined
    Record attributes:       Carriage return

..edt x.y
Input file could not be opened
File name:DU4:[DECNET]X.Y;1
IE.BTP - Bad record type

EDT don't understand Stream either. Very few tools in RSX do, since most
things use FCS, and FCS don't have the stream format. It's only RMS that do.

In order to get it manageable in RSX, I do:

..nft x.y=legato::info.txt;1/as
.dsp x.y

DU4:[DECNET]X.Y;2
                                                Size:       8./8.                     Created: 31-DEC-2012 18:01
                                                Owner:     [007,014]             Revised: 31-DEC-2012 18:01
                                                File ID: (126,7,0)             Expires: <none_specified>
    File protection:           System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:R, World:R
    File organization:       Sequential
    File attributes:           Allocation=8, Extend=0
    Record format:               Variable length, no maximum defined
    Record attributes:       Carriage return

And then I can edit it, or play with it in any form. However, each line
ends with a LF.

	Johnny