INFO.TXT, was Re: [HECnet] UPDATE: HECNET.HLP file for VMS systems

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Dec 31 07:16:55 PST 2012

Looking more at this, I'm curious what Bob did. It might be that the
file were created on Windows.

  It's been a few years since I edited that file, but there's about a 95%
probability that it was created and edited with Gnu EMACS for VMS.   The only
other possibilities are EDT or EVE, and I'm pretty sure those both create
VFC text files rather than stream.

  Looking around at other stuff that I've edited with EMACS on LEGATO, I see
that they also have similar record formats.   I've never had a problem using
text files that I edited with EMACS with any VMS utility, so I'm not sure
why you've got issues.

  Sorry for the delay, but I only read about 1/10th of the traffic on this
list these days.   Is it just RSX that has issues with this format?

'Tis my best educated guess having seen it all too often since the advent
of
_M_iscreant _I_diot _C_oding _R_ejects _O_utputting _S_pecious _O_ften
_F_lawed _T_echnology WEENDOZE.

  In any event, I can promise that Windows had nothing to do with it.   Sorry
to disappoint you :-)

Bo