[HECnet] How to install the VAX/VMS Modula compiler

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Fri Dec 28 07:00:40 PST 2012

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Catch-22!

  Ok, I made it easy for you guys.   First, remember, this ONLY RUNS ON A
VAX!   No Alphas, no IA64s.   Sorry.   You guys just go home...

  1 - Grab the VMSINSTAL savesets that I made for you

	$ COPY LEGATO::[.KITS]MODULA031.* []/LOG

  2 - Install them (nominally, you should be logged in as SYSTEM to do this)

	$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL MODULA031 [<directory where you put the
Modula kits>]

  3 - Answer the VMSINSTAL questions (just say YES to everything :-)

  Ok, it's installed.

  To compile something, e.g. the pretty formatter example from the M2
utilities -

  $ DEFINE MOD$LIBRARY SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSLIB.MODULA]
  $ MODULA PRETTY
  $ LINK PRETTY,SYS$LIBRARY:MODULA/LIBRARY

  Ok, PRETTY.EXE is ready to run.   Not too hard, right?   With a little more
effort, you should be able to recompile the compiler if you want.

  BTW, you need the "define mod$library ..." so that the compiler can find
the interface definitions for the standard libraries.   If you plan to use
Modula a lot, you might want to stick this definition in your SYSTARTUP_VMS
file and make it global.

Bob