[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 17:19:14 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 20:18, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

On 2012-12-25 20:06, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Hello everyone!

I've decided to bring up the random virtual cluster I was running on a friend's server, and I want to get it connected to HECnet. ;)

The IP is static so connecting it should be easier, the server is in North Carolina.   It's looking like i'll need to go install multinet on one of the cluster members as that'll be easier than bringing up a linux VM to run Johnny''s bridge. ;)

What areas are available?   I'll go renumber to one of the free areas   once I either remember or reset the SYSTEM password.

What about area 9, which is already allocated to you?

The area router for 9 is here at my house though, and the IP here isn't static, so it'd be a bit challenging to get that to work.

So? I don't see the problem. Have both places use the same area. Have an area router at each place (you need that anyway). Have a link between your two places. Done.

How would the link between the two places be done? I can do it via VPN for the Florida site and here, but i'd need to deal with dynamic IPs at the other site   Actually no I wouldn't.

If you have a place with a dynamic IP, you already are dealing with this. How do you do it today?

We never quite got that working, so I think i'll just use option 2.   I get a bit more control with that method anyway.

The link there is a bit less reliable, but the VPN auto reconnects.

Sounds like a working plan that is better in all ways then.

Yup.

I can route my house -> florida, and the NC site -> florida as well.   And then from Florida -> HECnet.

Yes. That would also work.

I'll go do that then.

Add TSTBD6 (9.15) to the area list, then.

Done.

Thanks!

However, if I claim area 14, I could setup a multinet tunnel between that site and the SIMH instances running on another friend's stuff.

Thoughts?

Yeah. While we're not out of areas, I think it's time to atleast use them somewhat more efficiently than this. A new area for each place you set up is a bit much, me thinks.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!
http://gimme-sympathy.org/ My permanently-a-work-in-progress pet project.