[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Dec 25 16:47:02 PST 2012

On 2012-12-25 22:00, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

On 25 Dec 2012, at 22:51, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:40, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

On 25 Dec 2012, at 22:38, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

http://www2.openvms.org/kparris/Bootcamp_2010_Using_IP_OpenVMS_Cluster_Interconnect.pptx
It even mentioned hobbyist clusters over the internet as a practical implementation. ;)

I'd be up for trying a cluster over the internet

Do you have the bandwidth for a high-performance one, or would we end up with a high-latency constantly-exploding one? ;)

My London site does about 1.5 Mbps up, 17 down, local (UK) ping of about 20-30 ms, up time at the moment is 57:13:59, but that's because I rebooted the router after some changes.

On a related note: How hard would it be to modify Johnny's bridge to carry LAN-over-IP traffic? Not sure I want to upgrade my boxes to 8.4...

About a five minute hack.