[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 12:59:45 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:56, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 03:51 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
http://www2.openvms.org/kparris/Bootcamp_2010_Using_IP_OpenVMS_Cluster_Interconnect.pptx
It even mentioned hobbyist clusters over the internet as a practical implementation. ;)

I'd be up for trying a cluster over the internet

Do you have the bandwidth for a high-performance one, or would we end up with a high-latency constantly-exploding one? ;)

I have lots of bandwidth here.   But keep in mind, in clustering over
Ethernet, the "L" in "LAVC" stands for "Local". ;)   I really don't see
it working well at all, but that's based on having done it locally, not
from actually trying it on a WAN.

I have access to systems with lots of bandwidth, they just implement a bit of MAC filtering and have limited IPs.