[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 12:38:26 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:27, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:21, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 03:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Ah.   Is any sort of encryption done for cluster-over-IP?

Oh heck no.   That sort of overhead's resultant latency would destroy
the performance of a cluster on all but the very fastest of machines.

Ah, right, I'm forgetting that clustering sends a lot of data.

Yes, and it's all pretty latency-sensitive.

Now I want to set up a cluster and intentionally crash it just to see how exactly it all falls over.

Further, most VMS clusters are built with machines in the same
datacenter.   It's not generally a wide-area thing.

Mmmm, true. Clustering is generally used for practical purposes and not my crazy experiments.

Right.   And the VMS world isn't generally too worried about cracker
kiddiez and their root kits.

Nope. ;)

Now, if you manage to bring up a wide-area cluster (which I'd love to
see!), of course you could encrypt your tunnels.   (I would)

I think I was going to try at some point   I have a couple systems running simulated OpenVMS 8.4 and I almost set up an IP-based cluster. ;)

I don't THINK i actually did it   but I almost did.

http://www2.openvms.org/kparris/Bootcamp_2010_Using_IP_OpenVMS_Cluster_Interconnect.pptx
It even mentioned hobbyist clusters over the internet as a practical implementation. ;)