[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Dec 25 12:19:20 PST 2012

On 12/25/2012 03:05 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Brian (Hechinger) and I once discussed the possibility of implementing
a similar clustering system within NetBSD.   I think just implementing
the SCS protocol itself would be a good start.   I wonder if there's
enough documentation out there to do it.

What'd be really interesting is joining that to a VMS cluster. ;)

  It would be a huge amount of work, and I'm not sure it'd be practical.
There are a lot of things in VMS that just don't have a mappable
counterpart in the UNIX world.   RMS, for instance.

  Brian H and I were discussing this (this was, what, eight years ago
Brian?) in the context of building a tightly-coupled cluster of NetBSD
machines, with the same basic capabilities (as adjusted for the
environment) as VMS' clustering...tight shared filesystem, distributed
locking, etc.   We even discussed process migration.

  If only we had more free time. :-(